Hillsdale Co. MI

Home Forums Genealogy Descendants of Louis Hillsdale Co. MI

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Marjorie Findlay 2 years, 8 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Melanie Shearman
    Participant

I’m new to forums, so please bear with me as I learn how to navigate these pages.
    The Louis Dubois descendants that traveled to MI with Daniel Garritson DuBois (1822-1845) Where his son and Grandson, Alfred Clark (1845-1921) and Fred Clark (1875-1950) respectively, established the family name and helped develop the village of Bankers.
    Descendents of this line still live in Hillsdale County and a FaceBook page has been established to keep Alfred Clark’s descendants in touch as we all discover our genealogy and share stories with the generations. Posted questions are answered in a timely matter and old photos are shared and identified with the family teamwork that has long been a DuBois trait.
    Feel free to visit The DuBois Connection on Facebook if you would like to learn more about these descendants of Cretien DuBois!

Marjorie Findlay
    Participant

Do you know if any of your Hillsdale Co. Michigan DuBois ancestors migrated north to Ingham or Jackson Co? Or if any of them arrived in Hillsdale Co. from the Redford, Michigan area (formerly DuBoisville)?

Melanie Shearman
    Participant

All my research shows that the DuBoises came directly from NY, most likely the Albany area. Michigan became a state in 1837, so it was still wild territory when they came to what would become Hillsdale County. Daniel is buried here, so they brought the whole family, signaling every intention of making this their permanent home. I can’t be sure of Ingham County emigrants as the last three generations were large. My grandmother was one of eight and my dad has many cousins. I’d never heard of DuBoisville, MI, so I doubt that it was started by our line of DuBoises. I am going to look into that, though. Thanks

Marjorie Findlay
    Participant

Thanks, Melanie. Redford, Michigan (once named DuBoisville) has a fairly large cemetery, now named Redford Cemetery, on M-24/Telegraph Road near 5 Mile Road. It has several French Huguenot families buried there and, near the front entrance on Telegraph Road, is a DuBois family plot with several prominent tombstones and obelisks.
    Find-a-Grave shows five DuBois entries, but I believe there are more that haven’t been added to the site.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gsr&GSiman=1&GScid=1450&GSfn=&GSln=dubois

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.